top of page

Family get-together - finally

It's a hot one at the farmette again today. We've had a string of days of blazing sun, with temperatures topping 30C and the accompanying need to water flower beds and the veg. garden. Right now, the sprinkler's on for the umpteenth time.

Last Sunday was the same, but we didn't mind because we were off to see the Thorntons and older sister Barb for the first real family dinner since the pandemic hit.

I really, really missed the up close and personal contact with the close relatives over the last three months. Distanced meetings on the front porch, Face-Timing and virtual hugs are all very well, but nothing beats the real thing. As Joni Mitchell sang oh-so-many decades ago, 'you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone."

As a freelance writer, I'm kind of built to be self-isolated, so the work week doesn't look a whole lot different for me. I even kind of enjoy it - I told Rob that I had unleashed my inner hermit. But I do miss having the freedom to truck down to Guelph to meet with friends during our semi-regular 'ladies who lunch' sessions.

Pre-pandemic, I organized a bunch of former ministry colleagues every couple of months for a sit down meal and quack session. It's really uplifting to have long-time friends with whom I can easily pick up where we left off last time. Like Pat Inett, pictured here at our January meet-up. Hopefully, we'll be able to get back to doing that at some point.

Anyhow. On to the story of last weekend. Lots has changed at the Thornton household. New paint on the living room walls, a new mantel around the main fireplace, and chickens!

Youngest daughter Erin was bound and determined to raise poultry over the summer. Her academic year at University of Guelph got cut short, and she was looking for a project.

Now, Erin, who's 22, has her 20 Plymouth Rock beauties, eight of whom are female and will hopefully be producing eggs by the late fall. Here she is cuddling one of them.

Her dad Brian did a great job fixing up the old coop that used to be ours. Its floor and door had seen better days. He also built a spectacular outdoor run for the new livestock.

Back to the visit - after a walk through the woods and some real, squeezey, in-person hugs, we settled down to dinner - a surf and turf extravaganza with all the fixings.

As you can tell, the repast was a hit. Rob obviously enjoyed himself, and I think I gained about five pounds in that one sitting. But it was worth it.

There's no substitute for being able to enjoy the real, live company of family and friends - especially when they are as treasured as is this lot. Hope all of you who follow the farmette follies have been able to catch up in person with your 'bubble'. Stay safe and stay healthy. Until next week.


bottom of page